- Taco Filling
- Salad Topper
- Nacho Addition
- Scoop it! (‘ya know with those tortilla scoops…)
Oh and one more thing – this plant based recipe makes enough to feed a crowd. So it’s perfect for a party OR for meal prep. It freezes well too! Just portion up in small containers and thaw when you need it! (love that!)
Mexican One Pot Red Quinoa
1 cup red quinoa
1 jalapeño, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
1 – 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 – 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ancho chili powder*
1/2 t. smoked paprika
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. black pepper
1 Tblsp lime juice
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Water sauté jalapeño, red pepper, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add in quinoa, your drained and rinsed black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth stir well.
- Add in all your spices – chili powder, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and peppers.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn stove down to low, put a lid on skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. (keep on eye on it! I like to stir it at about 12 minutes, then at 15 minutes check to see if I need to add more water).
- After 20 minutes, check to see if done. Your quinoa should appear ‘pearly’.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro!
- *you could sub another 1/2 t. of regular chili powder. Ancho really takes it up a notch though!
- recipe freezes well