Who else loves their slow cooker?
Kung Pao from the Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook
Reprinted from The Vegan Slow Cooker, Revised and Expanded By Kathy Hester, published by Fair Winds Press
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (8 g) grated ginger
1½ cups (355 ml) water
¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce (**gluten free – use coconut aminos)
¼ cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar or plain rice vinegar mixed with 1 teaspoon sweetener
2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken flavored bouillon or 4 tablespoons (24 g) DIY Golden Bouillon (page 237 of cookbook)
¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bell pepper, cored and diced
5 ounces (140 g) mushrooms, diced
1 can (8 ounces, or 225 g) water chestnuts, drained and diced
1 package (12ounces, or 335 g) seitan, store bought or homemade (page 238 of cookbook), diced (*sub 1½ cups chickpeas, cauliflower florets, or pressed tofu)
2 to 3 tablespoons (16 to 24 g) cornstarch
2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil (*** leave out to make oil free)
Steamed rice, for serving
Chopped peanuts, for serving
- Make sauce the night before: Combine all the sauce ingredients (garlic through red pepper flakes) and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Store the cut up bell pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan (or substitutes) in an airtight container in the fridge.
- In the morning: Combine the sauce, pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving: Turn up slow cooker to high. Make a thickener by mixing the cornstarch with some of the cooled sauce from the slow cooker in a small cup, then add it back to the slow cooker.
- Right before serving, stir in the sesame oil. Serve over steamed rice, and top with the peanuts.
- Yield: 4 servings
Equipment: 4 quart slow cooker
Cooking time: 7 to 9 hours on low