Hello! Is your week off to a good start? I am trying not to think of my stressful week (okay, week and a half really) ahead of me and focus on good thoughts instead – like this soup!
Creamy Coconut Curried Butternut Squash SoupCourse: Soups
Warm spice and coconut milk make this creamy soup addicting yet still dairy free!
6 cups butternut squash, cubed (this is the size of a medium to large sized squash)
1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 – 13.66 oz can lite coconut milk
1 Tblsp maple syrup
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground chili paste*
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
pinch of ground pepper
1/4 cup of vegan sour cream
2 Tbslp minced fresh cilantro
- In large stock pan over medium heat, vegetable broth or water sautè chopped onion, garlic and celery for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped butternut squash, stir well
- Add in coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup, all spices and chili paste.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender** (see directions below for blender) blend until soup is a creamy consistency – no chunks!
- For cilantro sour cream, stir minced cilantro into sour cream, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve soup in bowls or ‘shot glasses’ with a dollop of sour cream.
- *You can reduce this amount if you want a less spicy soup.
**Alternately, you can take small amounts of soup at a time and blend in your blender until smooth. Hot soup expands, so only do small amounts at a time.