Life. Life. Life.
As I sit here and write this, I am watching my kids play at the pool (indoor!). I think that pretty much sums up life, always multitasking.
Always something to do.
I am not complaining though! I love a full schedule. Especially in the winter, as it really does help time pass by…when is summer again?
But when life is busy, dinner can get complicated and rushed. Even when you meal prep on the weekend. And then there is after dinner, I don’t really want to spend hours in the kitchen cleaning up, when there is homework to be done, emails to catch up on and laundry to fold.
Sheet Pan Suppers to the Rescue
That is why I love sheet pan suppers! I have become a huge fan of them lately – like our Roasted Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato and Chickpea sheet pan dinner.
They save time, make clean up a breeze and are full of good healthy winter comfort food!
Maple Mustard Vegetables
Don’t knock it til you try it! The inspiration for this recipe actually came from my pre – vegan days. I loved a maple mustard glaze on salmon and really wanted to re-create that taste in an all plant based dish.
This dish combines some of my favorite vegetables, broccoli, red pepper, onion and carrot with sweet potatoes and great northern beans!
I opted to use great northern beans, but chickpeas would be another good option.
The vegetables are tossed with sweet maple and tangy mustard and with a splash of apple cider vinegar. The sweet potatoes get some additional spice with cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
All are then roasted together for a flavorful sheet pan supper that is both oil free and packed full of flavor!
If you try this out, I would love to know. Tag #badtothebowl or @badtothebowl on social media and connect with us for sharing delicious vegan food. xo, Sarah
Maple Mustard Roasted Vegetable Sheet Pan Supper
1 small crown of broccoli, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
1 small onion, sliced
1 small red pepper, sliced
1 cup chopped sweet potato
1 – 14.5 oz can great northern beans
3 Tblsp pure maple syrup
2 Tblsp dijon mustard
1 Tblsp apple cider vinegar
1 minced garlic clove
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper
*optional pecans, dried cranberries
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Put chopped broccoli, carrots, pepper and onion in large bowl.
3. Put chopped sweet potato in separate bowl and toss with cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. In another small bowl, mix together your maple syrup, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic clove and salt and pepper.
5. Toss your broccoli mix with 4 Tblsp of maple syrup/mustard mixture.
6. Toss sweet potato with remaining maple syrup/mustard mixture.
7. Lay out evenly on your prepared pan all your vegetables.
8. Drain and rinse your great northern beans, pat dry. Place beans on tray with vegetables.
9. Roast vegetables in oven for 35 minutes or until desired doneness. Stir at about 17 minutes.
10. Enjoy with optional pecans and dried cranberries!